Thursday, January 10, 2008

Can I Get Child-Owners Insurance?

Last night I checked out my Google Analytics and found a surprising number of referrals from Babble.com. My investigative powers lead me a post titled Kids Scare Me into Not Having Them that was based on my husband's very bad day last week. The post was written by Mike, a favorite blogger of mine that you can find at "Cry it out: Adventures of a stay-at-home dad"

It seems that Mike was very traumatized by my toddler induced flood. I want to assure Mike that the damage isn't that bad. If you walk through my house today, you may not notice that the carpet has been recently cut and pulled back. You might not realize that the pad in a small section of our upstairs hallway is slightly thicker than the rest. More than likely you will not even tread on the affected part of our house, because we have decided to not give upstairs tours anymore.

Mike wants to know what kids are capable of. He wants to get a feel for what to expect before he invests in a house and commits to adding more children to his young family. So just in case Mike thinks our upstairs flood is the worst thing that has happened since having children, here's another story.

When Belle was 2 1/2 years old I allowed her to get into her car seat by herself. One very hectic morning I was loading both kids into the car. I left Belle in the garage to climb into her seat and went inside to get Ariel. I came out to my husband screaming "What are you doing!" at Belle. Apparently Belle was trying to open her car door all the way. The car door kept swinging closed. Jeff heard the pounding of metal on metal from the front yard. He ran into the garage to find Belle slamming the car door of our Audi into our BMW. I think you will agree that my husbands yelling was warranted.

Now, what may not come across in the telling of this story is that, except for the initial shock, Jeff and I were not mad about this incident. The same way we are not mad about our upstairs carpet. We realize that cars and houses are just things. Things break. Things get stolen. Things get destroyed. If you read this post, you know that the BMW was in a car accident over the summer. The dented door doesn't look so bad now.

So my reassurance to Mike is: Your beautiful daughter may become more coordinated and cunning as she gets older. She may accidentally damage something that is costly to fix. That won't change the fact that she is your beautiful daughter, loved beyond measure, no matter what she does.


All my other readers, please go over to Mike's post and leave a comment about what your kids have damaged or destroyed. I don't want Mike thinking that it is just my kids that do these crazy things.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

very good advice! Shame on you for scaring future parents of older kids!! =)

cry it out! said...

Unless she messes with my future iphone, I imagine all will be forgiven ...

great advice!

Mike

Amy said...

Mike - You know that an iphone would be very, VERY tempting to a toddler.
LOL

Just My Type said...

Beautifully said.

Rachel said...

Dude, Amy... it's totally just your kids. Don't lie. :-) *snicker*

I agree with you, those are all material things. That's one lesson I learned from my Granny. Things can be replaced. The way your children feel about themselves and you, that can never be replaced.

Kudos on another great post.

gypsytears said...

Yeah, I agree, it's just your kids. Mine never drew on the new sculpted carpet with a red sharpie or fed the dog chocolate or helped daddy paint on the wall that daddy already painted or projectile vomited in the truck or anything like that. Nope, not my angels.

But you know what? It's all worth it. It is sooooo worth it.

Kellan said...

Ooooooh - it is definitely not just your kids! I have 4 kids and many, many, many stories! What a great post - have a good weekend. Kellan

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

My kids were always perfect angels!!! NOT!! Anyone that believes that should just have goldfish!

Thanks for keeping CJ in your thoughts! :-)

Hallie
http://wonderfulworldofweiners.blogspot.com/

Chris said...

Oh yeah. Kids are great. Just take a look at this one...

http://thesuperdad.blogspot.com/2006/08/holy-antique-chairs-batman.html

OHmommy said...

Dude... Mike.... stay away from my blog. My kids are accident prone. Chaos. Always chaos at my house!