Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Hugs in Heaven

After writing my Friday post, “In Memory of Oma”, I called my Opa. Christmas is hard for him this year; this is his first Christmas in over 60 years without his wife. During our conversation the only time I heard happiness in his voice was as he talked about my Uncle coming home for Christmas.

For those of you who don’t know, because I have never bothered to explain this, I live in Washington State. My family and Jeff’s family, with the exception of some siblings, live in California – 650 miles away. Jeff and I lived in the Central Valley of California until three years ago. Our family is there, as are our friends.

After my conversation with Opa I really wanted to be with him on Christmas. While this is a wonderful thought, it isn’t feasible. Jeff and I have committed to live within our means. We withdraw a fixed amount of cash from each paycheck and make do on that amount. Because of this commitment we constantly drive cars that need gas; our refrigerator and pantry are empty every Saturday. (I am not exaggerating; I have turned away people collecting canned food for charity, because I don’t have any food to spare.) Our decision to live on a meager amount has drastically changed our lifestyle. Taking a 1300 mile round trip to California is not an option.

The thought of going home for Christmas stuck in my mind. The only thing that would make it possible is a Christmas bonus from work. A Christmas bonus would be a miracle. Not because I don’t deserve one, but because I have received two bonuses already this year. It would be asking a lot to expect another one.

On Sunday I told Jeff, “If I get a Christmas Bonus AND it is over “X” dollar amount, I want to go to California.”

Ever since the words pass my lips, I have prayed and I have asked other people to pray for a bonus. Yesterday my prayers were answered. I received a Christmas bonus and that bonus was two times more than I needed to justify a trip to California.

Have you ever bought someone a present that you know they are going to love? You watch them open it with anticipation. You wait for their face to register the surprise and then the thrill of receiving that gift. I have this vision of God looking down on me as I “opened” my gift. I can see him smiling and feel his love and happiness for me. In response, I want to give God the biggest hug humanly possible.

13 comments:

Irene said...

Wow, that really is a WONDERFUL gift. I am so happy for you. Have a great time!!!

Amy Bennett said...

That's wonderful!!

The Sports Mama said...

THAT.... is awesome!!!

lattemommy said...

Oh, Amy, I'm so very happy for you. What a wonderful surprise. Good luck moving your Christmas to California this year. I'm sure you will make your Opa's Christmas.

pb&j in a bowl said...

Incredible!! I'm so happy for you, and I don't even know you. Treasure every single minute of your trip.

Kellan said...

Oh, Amy, this brought tears to my eyes - I am so happy for you and your Opa - this is so wonderful. See you soon. Kellan

Anonymous said...

OK, Darling. I am crying tears of joy for you now. That is soooooooo awesome! I am a firm believer that God gives us what we need when we need it. So wonderful!

OHmommy said...

Awesome. So awesome. Incredibly awesome.

What a Christmas to remember.

Lisa said...

Wow! That is so awesome!!!!

Cynthia said...

Good for you...enjoy your trip!

Rachel said...

God is so great!
Good luck and have a wonderful time!

Fine For Now said...

Congratulations!! I'm so happy for you :o)

Just My Type said...

When you hug your Opa, God will be right there in the middle. Make it a good one and enjoy the time with your family.

God always answers our prayers (in one way or another).