Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Amy Means Beloved

Twelve years ago she walked into my life and changed it forever. My brothers finance. The woman that he saw from across the room when God said, "She's the one." Two months later they were engaged and I was meeting her for the first time. My brother, Tod, brought her to the Tahoe timeshare where Jeff and I were staying. We got snowed in. It is a weekend that I will always remember.

My future sister-in-law, Amy, made such an impression on me. Before meeting me she spent several days with my family. My family was not too happy with me at the time. Jeff and I had been living together for a couple of months, and I knew she had been briefed on my black-sheep ways. What I remember about that weekend was the love and acceptance that she offered me. I finally had someone in my family that would love me for who I was, instead of who they wanted me to be.

Since that day, Amy has been central to my sanity, happiness and self-confidence. Before long she became my best friend and my sister. As sisters we have shared many experiences over the years. We have camped together in the wilderness of Utah, slept in an RV on the infield of California Speedway, skied together, and spent countless hours on the phone with one another.

Jeff and I flew to Colorado so we could be with Amy as she gave birth to my niece. It was the most beautiful event I have ever witnessed. Sixteen months later I made a 3 am phone call to her because I was in labor. She bought a plane ticket and packed her bags. Hours later she was flying from Denver to Sacramento with her one year old daughter. Thanks to 30 hours of labor, she was with me when Belle was born.

I thank God that he picked Amy to be my brother's wife. Sometimes I am selfish enough to think that God picked her to be my sister, and Tod is just along for the ride.

My beautiful sister,
Thank you for all you have meant to me. Thank you for being a tremendous friend, sister, aunt, wife and mom. I love you so much, my heart aches from missing you. One day I hope that God will allow us to live closer than the 500 miles that separate us now.
Happy Birthday.

14 comments:

louann said...

This is SO SO Sweet.

It brought tears t my eyes. Not everyone is blessed with beautiful "in-law" relationships.

You are blessed. Your sister in law is blessed.

Maria said...

That's great that you have such a great relationship with your "sister"! Consider yourself lucky. Many people aren't that lucky. My brother-in-law is getting married so I will have my first sister-in-law. I like her but I don't know her very well and don't know if I ever will because they live over 1,000 miles away.

Anonymous said...

Oh man do I ever wish I had a relationship like this with my SIL. But she is crazy. You both are very blessed. Thanks for sharing about your Amy.

Just My Type said...

Love it! Lucky you to have an Amy.

....Off to find some Kleenex.

Don Mills Diva said...

What a wonderful tribute to your sister-in-law. I wish I could say that about mine. You are both very lucky.

SimplyAmusingDesigns.com said...

It is SO difficult to be separated from someone who is such a terrific friend...hoping that one day you'll be together again! :)

Irene said...

Wow, you are so lucky, it is just too bad you are too far apart.

I wish I had that type of relationship with my SIL. I really do enjoy her so much, but she just doesn't make much effort for us to spend much time together. She works, and has a huge group of work friends, so I know that has a lot to do with it. But it makes me sad. Especially since she has 2 little ones that are the same ages as mine. We are only 10 minutes apart, but they don't spend much time together at all...unless we initiate it. Very sad...

OHmommy said...

A beautiful tribute to a beautiful person. That was so special!

You write so well and are so easy to read. I really love visiting you every day! You make me smile.

Kellan said...

Happy Birthday Amy and what a wonderful tribute!!

Thanks Amy for your support on my post today and I hope you know that I consider you a friend and love your site and have so enjoyed getting to know you. Are are a good friend and I am always here for you! See you soon. Kellan

Lisa said...

That is so wonderful! I have a very similar situation with my SIL. I don't know what she sees in my brother but I am so glad he brought her home.

Cynthia said...

What a lovely post...My brother currently lives with a crazy woman...We are not so close, but we live 15 min. away from each other...Go figure.

pb&j in a bowl said...

Both of you are so fortunate to have each other. That doesn't happen often with in-laws and I thinkk that makes it all the more special.

Rachel said...

Oh Amy, that is so beautiful.
How blessed you both are.
This was such a sweet post.
Look a what a gorgeous little bride you were! Not so much a black sheep anymore? :-)

Marla said...

What an amazing relationship you two share. Very special.