Sunday, January 13, 2008

Show Me Your Tongue

Chris at The SuperDad Chronicles tagged me for the "Seven things about me you don't already know" meme. I was tagged for this meme before. For my first seven things see "Work, Beer and Botox."

Since I am such a mystery to y'all, I will now share seven more things with you.

1. I have donated my hair to Locks of Love twice. I am currently growing my hair out for my third donation.

2. I had knee surgery in 2002 after a skiing accident. It wasn't until 2004 that I was able to achieve full range of motion in that knee. This is one of the reasons that I am so excited to run a 5K race this year. My body works the way it is suppose to! I want to utilize it before I get old and fall apart.

3. There is genetic controversy about the ability to roll your tongue into the shape of a tube. Is it a dominate genetic trait or is it just dumb luck? Let's take a look.

The man of the household can do it.

Firstborn is surprised by her ability

At 2 years old, Ariel is a pro!
This is my best effort.Conclusion: It's genetics.

What you just learned about me is that I am the freak of the family. My girls think I am not trying hard enough. They keep saying, "Come on Mommy, you can do it." To which I cry, "I can't do it. I can't roll my tongue. I CAAAAN'T!" like a frustrated two-year old.

4. My favorite number is 25. It's the number that appeared on my basketball jersey all four years of high school.

5. I love to garden. I could happily spend every weekend of the summer pulling weeds, planting flowers and re-landscaping our backyard.

6. I didn't wear lipstick until I was 20 years old. I remember my first lipstick. A boy gave it to me when he picked me up for our date. I should have been offended, but I wasn't. A month later he suggested mascara, so I started wearing that too. Eventually I married him.

7. I pack the same foods in a bag everyday and bring them to work. 3/4 cup of plain oatmeal and 1/2 cup of fat free milk for breakfast. 1 can of Campbell's Select chicken noodle soup and string cheese for lunch. 1/2 cup of cottage cheese, 2 Wasa crackers and a light Yoplait yogurt for snack. Boring? Maybe. When I was on vacation I missed my boring food.

Thank for reading my seven things. Instead of tagging more people for this meme, I am going to leave it open for anyone who wants to participate. Leave a comment if you do, so I know where to find your seven things.

The rest of you, for the sake of science, Can you roll your tongue into the shape of a tube or not?

21 comments:

carrie said...

Yes, I can roll my tongue and I happen to think weirdos or freaks or whatever it was you called yourself are the coolest.

I loved your list and your comment on my cashier letter made me smile.

Chris said...

Nice. Freaky about the tongue. I can do it. Not sure if my kids can or not. I pack the same thing in my lunch every day too!

louann said...

I can roll my tongue but I can't twist (whole of my Mom's family can, my Dad couldn't). Genetics. Hehe.

I love love your list.

No wonder the 5K run IS important! I will be praying for you as you get ready for it. And the food you eat everyday-- I admire you. I wish I could do the same, I would be much MUCH healthier =)

Rachel said...

I can roll my tongue and touch my nose :-) It's totally genetic :-)
The kids are so cute!
He brought you lipstick? and mascara? Well, of course you married him :-)
Nope, it never really gets cold here. Quite unfortunately. :-(
Great 7.

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, tounge roller here. I will have to test my youngest tonight. I have never asked him. The older one can do it though.

Irene said...

Yes, I can roll my tongue. Strange, if you can do it, it seems so hard to believe that others can't!

I liked reading your meme! Good luck with the 5k - especially if you had knee surgery! That would definitely be a great accomplishment. I have actually read that running is good for your knees (even though my mom completely disagrees, she has horrid knees, but never ever ran, hmmmm). Anyway, I have read that it actually strengthens the muscles and ligaments around the knee. Good luck!

Marla said...

Very cool list. I can not roll my tongue at all. No one here can. Your family is quite talented!:) Your husband introducing you to makeup is quite sweet and interesting at the same time. I can't believe you have donated your hair more than once! It must grow quite fast? Is it true you can not have your hair colored if you do that?

Fine For Now said...

I can sort of do it by using my lower lip, but I think that is cheating. My husband can actually make his tongue do this wavy tongue thing, I cannot even imagine doing.

Amy said...

Where are all the non-tongue rollers?!?
Marla and Fine for now, it's just us.

Irene - Thanks for the info on knees and running. It makes sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Thought you might be interested to know I can roll my tongue (effortlessly)!
Would be interesting to see which other family members can and can't.

Ah... the wonder of the genes :-)

Love you!
Mom

Anonymous said...

Love reading this DAILY! Thanks for the current posting.

Mom

Cynthia said...

OK, why can't you roll your tongue? I just assumed everyone could, now I am going to have to ask Husband if he can do it...

Hey thanks for you kind words about my blog designs:)

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness. That is cute. I especially enjoyed the photos (those babies are gorgeous!) and the lipstick/mascara/marriage ditty! Very interesting.

I can roll my tongue, but I certainly cannot run, so we're even!

Kellan said...

Locks for Love - that's cool! Loved the pictures!!

Hey - thanks for coming over and leaving the well wishes - I am fine - only need to remember about that bra thing the next time I ever have to call 911. Hope to see you tomorrow. Kellan

Melissa said...

I cannot roll my tongue, but my kids and husband can. I heard that is is a genetic trait passed on from the father.
Cute list!

Irene said...

Oh yes! I can! I can! I never thought of that. It made me feel so childinsh. Love it!
And I could not contain a smile for #6!
Now, if you stop by my cyberhome, there is a little something waiting for you to pick up.
Enjoy your day.

Mamarazzi said...

i loved this post, so fun to learn new things about new bloggy friends.

don't be jealous about the tongue thing. my sister Meg can "roll" it like that into 5 ripples ... umm yes really. 5 little taco shell looking things. BIZARRE! i am going to ask her to post a pic on her blog...when she does i will for sure send you there!

pb&j in a bowl said...

I can't roll my tongue, although 2 of my sisters can. Justin can't, but Maddie is a champ at it.

Loved your list.

Maria said...

I can roll my tongue, too! Loved the pics.
I just showed the picture of you to my husband and my daughter. I said, "Doesn't she look just like me?". My husband said, "Maybe a little." My daughter said, "No it doesn't." I don't know. It's hard to tell what yourself looks like, I guess.

Anonymous said...

My brother can't roll his tongue (no matter how hard he tries), but my four sisters and I can. My dad can, but now that I think about it I don't think that my Mom could. My husband can, and my four and six year old can, but the jury is out on my two year old. It seems genetic, but if my two year old can't than would it be like one of those skip a generation things? --Amy

girlymom said...

You aren't alone, my whole fam can roll their tongue and I am the lone one out...pouting.
New here, nice to meet ya, you have beautiful girls- aren't they fun, I have 4!