Sunday, January 6, 2008

Resolving to Resolve

It is six days into January and I have finally decided to make a resolution. My first resolution is to have a resolution. Years ago my New Years resolution was to not make any more resolutions. I am proud to say that I kept that resolution for many years. I wonder if by making a resolution this year is actually breaking my previous resolution.....

My 2008 New Years Resolution is to run in a 5K race.

I started jogging last summer. I have always exercised, but this summer I decided to go for morning jogs and forgo the gym. Some days I hated it. Most days I got on my bicycle instead and only jogged when it was overcast or raining (because jogging in the rain is safer than riding).

This fall when the weather forced me back to the gym I added a 7 minute run to the end of my weight training. My thought process was that I could do anything for 7 minutes, so I get on the treadmill to improve my speed. I have grown fond of my 7 minutes of running. Lately my 7 minutes have stretched out to 10 minutes just because I don't want to stop.

While in California for Christmas I went for a couple of 1 to 2 mile runs. I could probably go farther, but I have mind of matter issues. I enjoy running when I can keep my mind occupied. Most of the time my internal dialog goes something like this:

"Why am I doing this? This sucks, I'd much rather be on a bike. I am never going to run again. This sucks. This sucks. This sucks."

On Christmas Santa brought me a MP3 player. I have discovered that music helps me run farther and I love it. Ever since I started running, I have wondered if the competition of a race would give me enough motivation to run farther and faster. I also realized that it would be stupid to sign up for a 5K race when I can barely run 2 miles. Now that I have my music I can train for a 5K race.

So I am resolved to run a 5K race. I have an actual event in mind. Memorial Day Weekend our church has a Tinman Biathlon. I believe it is a 10K bike ride followed by a 5K run. I am picking this race because of the low cost and the fact that I would be racing against Christians, so if I collapse they would probably stop and help me, right?

18 comments:

pb&j in a bowl said...

GO FOR IT!! They are so much fun. I must warn you, though, you might become addicted. I started out with my goal being a 5k. Did it. Then I wanted to do a half marathon. Did it. Now, I'm training for a marathon. I found a wonderful book on running- easy training program for 5k's, etc. Jeff Galloway's Running. Good Luck!

louann said...

WOW! You sound really determined. I pray you'd be able to do it! And I can't wait to read about it. =)

Fine For Now said...

That's awesome! Music does really help with exercising, you are right. Good luck with your training :o)

carrie said...

You know, now that you mention it, I think I could run if I had music like "We Built This City" blasting in my ears. That's a good song for conquering anything.

Thanks for your comment on my blog earlier!

Amy said...

PB&J - I'm impressed! I hope it is addicting. There are so many great races in my area, it would be wonderful to be able to do the longer ones.

Carrie - That would be a great one to run to. Maybe I can dig up my Jefferson Starship cassette tape....

Anonymous said...

well, more power to you. :)

Hey it's Amy Benson said...

Hey Amy,
Good luck with the 5k! I am not a terrific runner. I am however a firm believer in good workout music! Do you have limewire? I downloaded (free) DJ Tiesto
and can go a long time on my stair stepper to that! Let me know if you want my complete list of workout music. :D

Just My Type said...

How much further is a 5k from the two miles you already do? I did the couch to 5k program over the summer and it ended with being able to run for 25 minutes straight. Is that equal to a 5k? My miles are very slow so I know I wasn't going the distance.

My biggest obstacle is getting out of my head as well. I have a walkman but I can't count on a good song playing on the radio. Usually all the DJs want to talk and flipping through stations prevents me from finding any rhythm whatsoever.

You've inspired me to work up to a 5k by Mid-March. I'm back at couch potato status currently. I think I'll pick up pb&j's book. Thanks for the tip!

Irene said...

I have been running for a number of years now. I am not a great runner, usually 2 or 3 miles a few days a week. I have run some 10 and 5 Ks. My best times are usually about 8 minute miles.

I started running when I was about 22 (I am 40 now). It actually took a long while before I honestly started liking the run - like MONTHS. I had to push myself for so long before something finally kicked in and running became enjoyable.

I just recently started bringing an ipod, but I really like just the peace and quiet too. I truly believe running is the single best way (for me at least) to get some serious thinking done. I solve a lot of problems during a run and often come home and tell my husband "You know, I was thinking...". And I feel SO incredible after a run. Even more so than after an hour at the gym.

Keep at it. Someday you may be surprised and find yourself actually having fun during your run!

Kellan said...

WOW a 5K race!! Good for you - I can't wait to hear all about it! Take care. Kellan

Amy said...

Just my Type - 5K is equal to 3.1 miles. My current 2 miles includes a 1/2 of mile cool down walk. So I have my work cut out for me.

I'm glad this was inspirational for you. I goggled PB&J's book guy and came up with a training plan that I think will work.

I am a slow runner to. I used to run 2 miles in 22 minutes (high school cross country team). I have never ran farther than 2 miles. During our Cross Country 5 mile runs, I would short cut through the corn fields.
:>)

Amy said...

Irene - 8 Minute Miles!?!
You put me to shame!
I am working so hard to get to a 10 minute mile pace.

Lisa said...

awesome! good for you! I find that music helps me do almost anything!

Irene said...

Well, 8 minute miles have been my absolute BEST times. I am not NEAR that right now!

Having a race to train for really motivated me and helped increase my pace. But once the race is over, I definitely slow down. My typical run is at a 10 minute mile.

Anonymous said...

Go, go, Amy!!!! You can do it!

Rachel said...

Getcha some girlie!
Having music really does make a difference.
Wow, I will (metaphorically) bow at your feet!
I can't run. I bike and I walk, but running, yah... not so much.

Anonymous said...

Oooooh, I've always wanted to be a runner! Of course, right now I can barely hoof it the length of one city block, but I'm not giving up my dream!! lol

Irene said...

Hello,
This is my first day here, so I thought I'd read on after WW. You have a way with writing that is engaging. Best of luck with your training. I loved your last line!!!