Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Cake Legacy

Belle's Birthday is this weekend. I am very excited about how everything is coming together. Here are the invitations. Jeff did these all by himself.
Yeah.
I know!


I took some time this week to whip together a birthday cake. I baked two sheet cakes on Monday. After they cooled, I wrapped them up really tight and put them in the freezer. I did this for two reasons.
  1. It enables me to spread my cake making adventure over a couple of days instead of one very stressful event.
  2. A frozen cake is much easier to frost.
Tuesday, Jeff and I went to the Disney Store to pick out a toy for the top of the cake. Belle requested Ariel, Eric, the dog and a pirate ship. I'm pretty sure she meant the wedding ship, but it wouldn't fit on the cake anyway, so I omitted that.

On Wednesday I made my own frosting, and tonight I threw it all together. What do you think?


I'm pretty pleased with it myself. I think it is my best work to date.

I love making cakes. Growing up, my mom made our birthday cakes. She made other cakes as well, my grandparents' anniversary cake and eventually my wedding cake. It was beautiful.

I aspire to be like my mom in this way. I appreciated the effort she put into making our cakes. I remember watching her work and waiting until she was done so we could make use of the leftover frosting. Now that I have frosted cakes while my girls inch as close as they can get to my creation, I appreciate how nerve-wracking that must of been for my Mom.

Thank you Mom for allowing me to get close enough to learn. I'm sorry for sticking my fingers in the frosting when you weren't looking.

14 comments:

Unknown said...

Suh-weet! It seems like homemade cakes are becoming a lost art. I remember a time when you could buy formed cake pans in the supermarket for just about any cartoon character you could imagine. I don't remember seeing those for quite some time now. Some kids moms would get really creative as well, making cakes that looked like hamburgers etc.
Anyway, great job!

Anonymous said...

Nice job on your girlie's cake!

I, too, have always made my kids' birthday cakes. I think our most adventurous one was an obscure video game character just a couple of years ago(my hooligans are 14 and 12). We had our Disney princess days, too--ah the memories! :)

Again, bravo, Mama, nice cake!

Happy Birthday to your girl!

~~

OHmommy said...

A lot of something must happen around Memorial Day. Seems lke everyone is having a party.

I love the cake and invites. You rally did an awesome job on the cake. It looks amazing.

Fine For Now said...

That is a really good looking cake! Looks like fun. :o)

Maria said...

Your cake looks really great! Good idea about frosting a frozen cake.

Don Mills Diva said...

Mmm - what time should I show up for cake?

lattemommy said...

Great cake! Congrats on such a lovely job - I wish I could bake like that. I'm more of a cook than a baker, it's more forgiving.

Enjoy the birthday party!

dlyn said...

I think it looks great. My Mom is a great cake decorator. Unfortunately/fortunately one of my best friends is a decorator and charges me next to nothing, so I let her do all the cakes we need, except the everyday sort. Hope the party is a blast!

Honeybell said...

Wow! The invitations AND the cake are fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Following family traditions always warms the heart...

Having said that, do check for little holes in your cake where little fingers have been, too!

Irene said...

Great cake! And invitations! I don't think I have the patience to try to frost a "themed" cake, so I usually just buy them. Maybe someday I will try tackling this project!

Lisa said...

awesome job! way to go!!

louann said...

Nice cake! It looks beautiful =)

Happy Birthday to your little girl =)

pb&j in a bowl said...

Happy Birthday Belle! The cake is so cute. I've contemplated making Maddie's, but I'm just not sure.

I tagged you, but no pressure to do it! It was pretty fun, though.