Thursday, January 31, 2008

This Post Is Rated "W" For Women

I can't believe that I am going to do this. Before I tell you what I am about to do, I would like to get rid of some people first.
Ryan, go away. I mean it. Off you go.
Male family members and friends, you really don't want to be here. Your wives, girlfriends and mothers are welcome and encouraged, but if you are a boy please find something else to read for today. I will see you tomorrow when I post a topic for all audiences.

So all I have left here is the girls right?
Okay, down to business. First go read what Kelly at Ordinary Art had to say yesterday. I'll be here when you are done. Go on read it! (Sorry for being so bossy, stress does that to me)

Great! You're back. So now you know that I am posting today because....

When we love something we embrace the good with the bad and hold it high for everyone to see. We say, "This is valuable and I love it regardless of what you think!" It is time for me to show that kind of respect for my body.

God gave me this body knowing what I would be, do, experience and need. Who am I to second guess his intentions and bad mouth his gift? It is time for me to face what I like to least and learn to love it the most. And so here they are, my legs.

First of all, this picture doesn't really show why I usually hide these beauties. I have cellulite. I have always had it. Skinny, fat it doesn't matter, it is part of me, part of how I was made.

I have two daughters. Two beautiful, wonderful girls in whom I want to instill confidence so that they will never doubt their beauty. How can they gain that confidence if they do not first see it in me?

This is for my girls.

I promise that I will no longer rush to put a towel around my waist at the pool or wear shorts over my swimsuit at the beach. I promise to praise my legs because they propel me to run and enable me to ride a bike. I will teach you that confidence is beautiful, and self doubt will only hurt you. I will be proud of how God made me because I am proud of how God made each of you!

For the rest of the girls out there. Perfection comes with confidence. It is time to look at our bodies for what they are instead of what they aren't. If you think you will feel better about yourself after you lose weight or tone up or have plastic surgery, you are wrong. I can say this with confidence because I have lost weight, 60 pounds of it. After losing weight I felt better but I didn't feel confident. We will only feel good about ourselves when we stop looking for our flaws and start celebrating our beauty. You are beautiful. Celebrate with me.

36 comments:

the lizness said...

Go you. I'm not so brave as to post a picture or this sentence on my own blog, but in the past I've always been semi-ashamed of my "girls" because they are large and in charge of my clothing choices. But more recently (in the past year) - I'm happy to be the size I am, and happy to not hide them by wearing too large clothing. I look fabulous, and I'm not ashamed of that. :)

lattemommy said...

Hot legs, baby! *grin*

Seriously, though, congratulations on accepting Kelly's challenge. I did so as well, and although I was apprehensive, I am now extremely grateful. She is a wise woman, that Kelly.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post, and your daughters are lucky to have such a confident mom to teach them what's important and what's just perfect the way it was given to us.

morninglight mama said...

Wow, this is such a challenging thing for me. My third baby was born just over 2 months ago, and I know there is just no amount of dieting that could take away my multiple tummies... higher level of fat above the belly button and the flappy part that tries to hang over my undies on the lower level. (Who needs a photo, when words can paint such a picture on their own?) While I'm not sure I could say that I love my belly, I am grateful for it stretching to hold my three big babies until they were ready to be born. I am thankful that it was strong enough to keep me upright while hauling around for those long months.

Good for you and all the women out there taking pride in their bodies- realities and all. :)

Mr Lady said...

You are totally hot. Shut up.

I'd so make out with you.

Don Mills Diva said...

Ahmen sister. Everyone has cellulite. I always wonder at those ads that actually admit 95% of women struggle with it. Uh - duh - if 95% of women have it then it's normal! Whay are we worrying about it again?

OHmommy said...

Oh Amy. What a great post. It is so important to show our girls confidence. If they see it they will believe in it.

Tara R. said...

You go girls! You are going to make such a wonderful impact on how your girls see their mom, and themselves... more power to ya! This was a tough challenge to meet, but I'm glad to tried too.

Unknown said...

What a fantastic challenge! I can relate to the cellulite issue!!

ConverseMomma said...

OH AMY! Those are the most lovely legs around. Why? Because they carry around a queen like yourself. Promise me we'll be friends for life. I adore you!
This post rocks my socks!!!
Thank you, honey. Thank you!

Mamarazzi said...

you are my hero!

i am not gonna go off an snap shots of my wiggly bits but i am going to take that promise you made to your girls and make the promise to my daughter.

oh and you are totally hot so shush!

LunaNik said...

Ok, scoffed a bit at another blogger doing this, but now...

I'm gettin into it!

Every woman should love her bod.

Good for you!

Unknown said...

Great Legs! GREAT POST!
Thanks for sharing!! Thanks for being strong!

amy turn sharp said...

awesome girl!!!! I love this!

carrie said...

I am on this journey, too. It's such a struggle. For years it was the struggle of being too thin and looking gawky. Then I had a few hot years. Now I have flab from babies.

It will never be perfect. I'm not sure why I strive to get back to "normal". It's a false security and I need to be reminded constantly that I have to appreciate my body for what it is.

Thanks.

Anonymous said...

way to go! I really liked this post.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful, brave post. Congrats on taking the plunge.. it felt good for me as well.. it was a great idea on Kelly's part..

PS.. ur girls are lucky to have a brave mom like you.

MommyTime said...

Hooray for thighs! You go, girl.

Amy said...

What a great message about promoting confidence for our daughters. It is so true, they are bombared from everywhere about what perfect should be. Perfect is being happy with yourself and I think you are definitely showing your girls that!

ShannanB said...

Amen. We should all love ourselves!!


Blog Hopping
Anastasia Beaverhousin

Victoria said...

Lovely what you said about your daughters. I have one and I want her to be confident too. This world seems so against women. Good for you for showing off your gams :) I took the challenge too and it is interesting to see what others think.

Anonymous said...

I love reading these stories! I'm working up to joining you!

Blog Hoppin'! Happy Friday!
"Margarita Mom"

Kellan said...

WOW - great post Amy!!! I couldn't agree more and you said it better than I could have ever said it!! It's a hard challenge, but I need to stop covering my legs at the pool and beach too - who care anyway, right? Take care Amy - see you soon. Kellan

Your legs look pretty darn good - BTW!

Maria said...

That's great you feel that way! Now if I could lose 60 pounds, I'd feel that way too! I don't mind having a little cellulite, I just want to lose SOME weight!

Marla said...

Body image is always a hot topic. Sounds like a great plan in helping your girls develop a great body image.

Rachel said...

Amy.
Wow. Absolutely fantastic. This was brilliant and beautiful and inspiring and woo hoo! You go darling!

Unknown said...

That was nothing short of beautiful, Amy! Way to go for stepping up to the challenge.

Honeybell said...

YOU are my hero.

Kidzmama said...

Great post. You should definitely be proud of your body. It created beautiful children.

Our oldest is just getting to the age where she's looking around and comparing. I always tell her that "you're the right size for you". My mom always told me I was beautiful, but I always said "that's what you're supposed to say". So I wanted to come up with something different.

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for doing this; you're perfect the way you are!!

Nissa said...

You are so right. We must not pass down our own body issues to our daughters. Loved your post & I'm a proud owner of cellulite, too!

Karen MEG said...

Great post Amy. You're doing your girls proud; body image and self confidence is so important, especially these days when we're bombarded with such unattainable, photoshopped images on a daily basis. You are beautiful the way you are.

Bloghoppin' Hi... Pomtini

suchsimplepleasures said...

what a great post! i have cellulite, too! just another thing to add to my list. but...good for you!! it's so important for us mothers of girls, to teach them to respect their bodies for what they are.
this was an awesome challenge and you met it amazingly!!

louann said...

Yey!

You are an inspiration. What you just wrote is an inspiration.

AEH said...

Oh thank you for your post! (And for your comment on mine!)

You're thighs are great! Seriously - I'm only 29, never had kids and I have cellulite! My thighs and bottom!

I think curvy women are beautiful and I just can't imagine why anyone would find skin and bones attractive! SO yeah for us thick thighs!

Victoria said...

Sweet! I (heart) this post!! Thank you! You're fab!