Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hold Them Close

Ahhhhh. A long weekend with four full days at home.

I am looking forward to cuddling with my girls. Ariel always gets the slightest smile on her face as she snuggles her head on my chest. I like to listen to her pacifier squeaking as she relaxes in my arms. Belle still lets me hold her “like a baby” and sing the songs that are so familiar to her. She doesn’t even mind that I sing out of tune and have made up the words. To her it is the same off-key melody that she has heard since birth.

I remember the late nights when my baby girls needed comforting. I would rock them well beyond their need to be rocked just because I loved holding them. We don’t get to do that anymore. The rocking chair is covered with clothes and isn’t used in the middle of the night anymore.

They are growing up and I am not ready for it. I look forward to these four days of snuggling, holding, kissing and playing with my children. Four days to be silly, dance, play and watch movies.

On Monday I will return to work with happy memories of a long weekend well spent with my girls.

1 comment:

lattemommy said...

Isn't it great when they let you snuggle with them? The Princess has never been much for cuddling, even when she was a baby. However, once in a while she indulges me...for a moment at least. She has a rocking chair in her room, too, but like yours it hardly gets used anymore. I'd move it into Jr's room, but it's a little too small.

Jr. is a great cuddler, though, which I love. He likes to be picked up and snuggled a million times a day. It's nice.

Enjoy your long weekend. You deserve it.