Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thankfulness Part 2

Our Home

In my last post I told you that things got a lot worse before they got better. I don't want to write about how they got worse, after all it is Thanksgiving week. Instead I want to express my gratitude for retaining the one thing I was sure I would lose, my home. This year we had two houses up for sale. The house we flipped and our home. We never wanted to sell our home. The couple of months that it was on the market went something like this:

We put a for sale sign in front of our house and said, "Okay God, our house is for sale, but we aren't going to advertise it. If you really want us to sell it you will bring someone down our street."

A couple of weeks later we hired an agent and listed the house. "Fine God, we'll advertise, but we are not going to sell it for a penny under our inflated asking price."

A month later we lowered our asking price. "Please God, just get us out of the mess. I don't care what it takes. No material possession is worth this amount of stress and heartache." A couple of weeks later someone finally made an offer on the house we flipped. In July we sold the renovated house and took our house off the market.

I am so grateful that we were able to keep our house. Our neighbors mean so much to us. To leave this neighborhood would have been heartbreaking. Our kids have friends on this street. The stay at home moms on the street embrace and support my husband in his role as a stay at home dad. I am thankful everyday that I get to drive down this street and call it my home.



3 comments:

Cynthia said...

So happy you got to keep your house! We weren't so lucky a few years ago...Don't worry, we are back on our feet and moving into our new house in Dec!

carmilevy said...

I believe that everything happens for a reason, that fate plays a role in how our lives unfold. I'm so glad to see that things worked out for the best here.

I've been writing a series of articles on the U.S. real estate market, and I've prayed for anyone caught in the midst of a changing market.

Your neighborhood sounds and looks like a lovely place to live. I'm thrilled that you'll be staying there. Heck, I'd love to live there, too, from the way you describe it :)

May you have a blessed year, and many more Thanksgivings of plenty.

Rachel said...

Wow. I'm glad you got to stay in your house. Amazing how God has his own plans isn't it.
Many blessings on y'all!