Monday, November 5, 2007

I'm Blogging Now

I've decided to start blogging. I could tell you that I want to capture my memories and thoughts so I can read them again someday. But here is the real reason....I want my children to know what kind of person I really am, and how much I adore them.

I'm afraid (due to my own childhood trauma that I PROMISE not to go into) that my children will grow up not knowing how much I truly love them. I'm afraid that they will remember the times I was frustrated with them or disciplining them and forget the fun times, like when I let them style my hair.
Isn't it fabulous!

Right now, I am trying to keep myself away from the Halloween candy. Since Halloween was last week, the majority of the remaining candy is technically my children's, and 100% of the "good" candy is theirs. All that remains for me is the trick-or-treaters' rejects. So mostly suckers and sweet tarts. I have nothing against suckers and sweet tarts, but I CRAVE chocolate. So I have been putting suckers and sweet tarts into my children's trick or treat bags in exchange for the mini candy bars. I don't feel too bad about it because according to the National Confectioners Association, 90 percent of parents admit to stealing candy from their children’s trick-or-treat bags. And what I am doing is not stealing, it is simply a matter of trading.

Now I can imagine my kids reading this in 10 years and questioning my love for them, so this is what I have to say to my sweethearts: The first candies that I thoughtfully removed from your bags were Milk Duds and other potential choking hazards. Then, I noticed that when asked to choose 1 piece of candy from your trick-or-treat bag, one of you picks suckers and the other likes the chewy sweet tarts. So, I am giving you more of what you really like.
See how much Mommy loves you!

1 comment:

Fine For Now said...

Thank you for posting a comment on my blog about your experience with your mom and your children! I do want to meet with a counselor about my childhood with my mom and also my issues with assertiveness (which stems from the childhood). I work at a University and can get counseling for free (!) but it is now the end of the semester and they do not start seeing anyone until next semester, so just a few weeks. I am glad to see that you were able to deal with your childhood and that you also made a conscious decision to stop the cycle of abuse (which I want to do also). I'm glad you found me, I love your blog, you are such a good writer! Thanks again :o)