Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving Memories

It is my favorite time of Thanksgiving day. The turkey has been consumed. The dishes are washed and put away. The children and are running around having a good time. The men are watching football.

Thanksgiving was always my favorite holiday. Watching my kids play reminds me why I loved it so. Growing up, Thanksgiving was always at my house. All my aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents would arrive with arms full of food. My Dad would prepare our cow pasture for a football game. I have so many fond memories of being with my family. I realize now how fortunate I was to have those Thanksgivings.

My parents have since divorced, I have moved out of state, as have my brothers. Thanksgivings have become a smaller affair. I still strive to make Thanksgiving a day of connecting with the people we love. This year we have 9 1/2 people over at our house. 9 1/2 you ask? Yes, our tenth guest's flight got delayed. His wife is picking him up now. He missed dinner, and will arrive just in time for pies.

I am thankful for the opportunity to fill my house with a mixture of family and friends. To eat, drink and enjoy their company.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Those pies look delish!!
We tried a new pie this time that my aunt's friend saw in the NYTimes... it was to die for. A bourbon crust apple pie. Oh my gosh. It was amazing!!