Monday, November 12, 2007

Stupid Elmo

I have the today off, a chance to play stay-at-home mom. It's been 6 months and I miss it. Husband is taking the car in for service, I'm taking the kids to story time at the Library. I get to have the kids to myself, and prove I can still manage the craziness.

I think I have loss all of my stay-at-home mom superpowers. Husband has all the recent experience of getting the kids out the door on time. I thought I would be able do it, but instead I'm like a deer caught in the headlights. Husband took pity on me. He had some time before he needed to leave, so he helped with breakfast and choosing outfits.

When Husband left, all I had left to do was pack lunches. I turned on Sesame Street for the girls. That is when Elmo conspired against me. The subject of Elmo's World was art. Elmo thought it would be a wonderful idea to show kids drawing and painting. LittleOne wants to draw too. I want to pack lunches and get out the door.

LittleOne is chanting "I wanna draw too, I wanna draw too, I wanna draw too!" I break away from my task to grab markers and a piece of paper for LittleOne. Problem solved. Right? Wrong.

LittleOne is still chanting. Now it sounds something like this. "I can't, I can't, I caaaan't draw a cow MOM!"

Stupid Elmo.

TV has a purpose in our house. The purpose is NOT to cause more work for me. The purpose is happy children. LittleOne is not happy.

I'm spreading mayo on bread saying, "Its really easy honey, just draw an oval for a body"......why isn't Elmo explaining how to draw a cow. It's Elmo's fault that she wants to draw a cow in the first place, stupid Elmo....."Then draw a circle for a head."
LittleOne has not stopped crying "I caaaaaan't". I have no choice now, I have to stop what I am doing and help LittleOne. The result is this picture.Not a bad picture of a cow for a 2 year, right? Wrong. LittleOne did not draw that picture. I did. LittleOne's contribution is the black scribbling as she was screaming "THAT IS NOT A COW, MOM!!!"

Stupid Elmo!

8 comments:

Heidi said...

I live your life. As I read this my little one is asking for Crayons and so I better say this was awesome before I end up drawing too. =)

Rachel said...

Oh my gosh! Too cute! We have lots of those pictures floating around, too.
Thank you for your sweet comments and your prayers. Not everyday is bad but she has a progressive degenerative disease and it slowly is robbing her of words, their meanings, speech and memories... it is heartbreaking. I have been blessed to share my life and my children with her.

lattemommy said...

Great cow, Amy! My Princess always asks me to draw a giraffe, standing in a field of flowers, next to an apple tree and a pond full of ducks. I have no idea why this is, but whenever there are paper and crayons around she asks me to draw the same picture, step by step. Go figure.

Thankfully, I have never had the tantrum-fueled scribble-over. However, given the Princess' tendency for the irrational flip-out, I'm sure it's coming.

roentare said...

A great story you are sharing. A good blog.

Anonymous said...

you have got to love it! I agree, Elmo definitely should have explained how to draw the cow!!!!! Let's boycott Sesame Street!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope to check in here often as well.

SoandSo said...

Amy, you have me laughing out loud! A much-needed hearty laugh that culminated in way-too-loud noises escaping my mouth and odd looks from my across the hall office mates. When I actually have the chance to stay at home and draw, paint, pick up mini playdoh remnants off the floor and excercise my patience in drawing stick figure barn animals, I am reminded of how much I am in awe of those,like your hubbie, that get to stay home and live this luxurious life. :)I have never blogged before...

Rachel said...

Somehow she wriggles into that black bodysuit by herself when she wants to be a secret engine! LOL! Thanks for stopping in!!

NH Yocal said...

OMG, that is hilarious. I would have been saying the same thing!